9.15.2013

2013 Sister Road Trip - Part 1 - New York

Sometime between December of last year and January of this year, I mentioned to my sister that I wanted to do a Road Trip up to see family in New York and then over to Salem, Massachusetts. My sister was on board and wanted to go with me. We started planning and getting overly anxious about the trip as it got closer. The plan was to go pick her up in Tennessee and then head up north.

I left Florida, Saturday August 31st to head up to Tennessee.

I ended up just north of the Florida State Line before I stopped for lunch. I stopped at a BBQ place called The Smokin Pig! I just got a Sweet Tea and a Pulled Pork Sandwich. They had the Carolina BBQ Sauce there, which I have never had before, and it was delicious. I wish I had taken a picture of this sandwich, it was huge. I just love all the huge billboards as your driving through Georgia.

As I was getting closer to my sisters house I came across this set of crosses. They were massive!


I got to my sister's house about 6:30pm. This was the first time I made it up to see my sister's house since she moved up there about 3 years ago. She showed me around the house and then we sat on the back porch watching two hummingbirds fight for the feeder. We ate some pizza and hung out some more, then I went to bed before 10pm to rest for the drive the next day.

We got up and was on the road by 7:15am. Driving through the mountains was just amazing to me, they were so majestic looking. I did not take any pictures on the way to New York. Another thing about the mountains, I am not used to the elevation, my ears kept popping the whole way. We finally made it to our hotel in Poughkeepsie, New York around 10:30pm. We got checked in at the hotel and then met Dad, my brother, and little sister at one of the diners for some food. I gave the Tinkerbell 
Painting to my little sister before we left the diner. She loved it! I should have taken a picture of her with it.


We went back to the hotel and finally got some sleep. When we got up the next morning we decided to go for a jog on this walkway bridge that wasn't to far from the hotel. The bridge went right across the Hudson River. It was kind of a dreary day.


After our jog we went back to the hotel and got ready to see the family. We did some driving around to see some of the sites with my brother and little sister.  We drove by to see the train station.



We decided to go see our Nana's grave since my sister hadn't been to see it yet. After that we went to eat some lunch and decided on Red Robin. I have never eaten there before, I got the Burning Love Burger and it was great. 


My brother works at a chinese restaurant so we went there to meet his boss. I was telling his boss that I have never had a Bubble Tea before, so he made me one.


We went back to see Dad and drove down to see the house that we lived in when we were born. I took some pictures of the flowers in front of the house. After that Dad took us to meet his friend Mandy, she was a wonderful lady.



That evening we went to another diner for dinner. I just love the diners up there. We don't have anything like that in Florida. They are amazing!


We decided to go have a few drinks and play some pool at one of my brother's favorite places. The place is called Georgio's. I did not take any pictures while we were there, not really sure why. We didn't end up staying out to late because I was super tired.

When we got up the next morning, we checked out of the hotel. Then went to visit with family. Our brother took us to go get copies of our birth certificates, just so we had extras on hand. Then we met Dad and my little sister out for lunch, at another diner. My big sister took a picture of Dad, my brother, little sister, and myself. My little sister was being silly. Then we said our goodbyes and headed to Salem.


Salem to come in the next part...

No comments:

Post a Comment